TWITCHELL-CHAMPLIN BUILDING

ccs all2013 ACEC Engineering Excellence Special Recognition Award

2012 Maine Preservation Honor Award Recipient for Rehabilitation

Occupying land reclaimed from the sea by filling granite bulkheads, the Twitchell-Champlin Company Building at Merrill’s Wharf that we know today was constructed in stages from 1884 through 1924.  Witness to the transformation of Portland’s waterfront from the age of sail to the age of steam, the building was re-purposed into a cold storage facility in 1962 and began a slow decline into disrepair.  At times during the investigative phase we were uncertain if the building had been let go for too long.  Yet, with each passing day on the lift, with each brick removed, with each timber probed and cataloged, there grew an understanding, a confidence and a determination that this building could be saved.  Exhaustive investigation of existing conditions, collaborative round-tabling of solutions and a consistent field presence to provide real-time solutions to unforeseen existing conditions yielded a project that preserved, enhanced and re-purposed the largest brick building in Portland built on a wharf and one of the few remaining buildings used for industrial processes in the 19th and 20th century.  BSE engineered solutions utilizing an array of technologies rarely implemented together in one project.  In doing so, we optimized the amount of historic building fabric which could be preserved, reducing costs and improving the contextual authenticity of the working waterfront.  There were many solutions for many issues, each selected and implemented using a performance based approach to deliver thoughtful, innovative and cost-effective solutions.

Project Location:  Portland, Maine

Architect:    Winton Scott Architects

Client/Owner:    Waterfront Maine, LP



Comments are closed.